3122 Laurel Canyon Blvd. | Studio City, CA 91604
- Cover movies, TV, books and design for Fast Company / Fast Co.Create
- Write about entertainment and technology for Wired Magazine and Wired.com
- Write weekly Industry Buzz movie column for San Francisco Chronicle
- Write feature stories on movies, television, theater, architecture and design for Los Angeles Times, New York Times
- Cover art, design and architecture for ArtNews, New York Times, L.A. Weekly
- Contributing Editor, Brown Alumni Magazine
- Contributed film article to 2007 Oxford University Press anthology
- Wrote for Entertainment Weekly, People magazine and Emmy magazine
- Covered entertainment, design and lifestyle beats for Chicago Tribune
- Created, wrote and edited monthly music section for Chicago Reader alternative weekly
- Judge: 2005 Association of Alternative Newsweeklies "AltWeekly Award"
Zap2it.com |July, 1999 - July, 2000
- Directed editorial content for Zap2it.com. Within six months of joining operations, Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and E! Online had singled out the site as an outstanding entertainment destination
- Supervised six staffers-- three writers and three graphics artists and eight free-lancers including contributors to Los Angeles Times, Entertainment Weekly, Vibe, Rolling Stone and Ain't It Cool News.com
- Edited all copy for style and accuracy
- Wrote, assigned and edited reviews, profiles, trend stories, polls and interactive features
- Directed coverage of Emmy Awards, which broke the site record for daily page views on September 13, 1999
Online Editorial Director, Tribune Media Services | March, 1997 - June, 1999
Launched TVQuest, a website and partner of America Online. Supervised creative staff and team of 12 free-lancers. Built traffic from ground zero to nearly a million hits a day in eight months. Created editorial features and special sections including an "e-card" holiday promotion with Starlight Foundation, which was covered by CNN and other major news outlets. Conceived and wrote TVGenius, a weekly round-up of humor, trivia and news.
Created initial editorial template for MovieQuest, a movie listings service with enhanced editorial content, serving as de facto producer during early stages of project. The site now has 152 newspaper affiliates and a 300,000 plus subscriber base.
Re-designed television area for AOL content partner Digital Cities. Created new features, supervised art direction and assembled a team of freelance contributors. New sections, including "Crank," "Eye on Sci Fi" and "Sink or Swim," resulted in 2,100 percent increase in usage of TV Navigator over three month period.
Sections Editor, Chicago Tribune | April 1996 - March 1997
Managed all facets of Tribune's real estate special section published 12 times a year. Assigned and edited stories produced by Tribune staffers and freelancers, wrote captions and headlines, handled page layout and supervised pagination under tight deadlines.
Chicago Tribune | Dec. 1992 - Jan. 1997
Contributed two weekly columns for the nation's fifth largest newspaper: Hanging Out covered the city's nightlife. Northwest Scene reported on theater, music and comedy events.
FINALIST: 2013 Mirror Awards | Best Digital Media Article
2011 MIN Finalist, Best of the Web, Overall Excellence
2011 ASME Finalist, General Excellence, Digital
1996 University of Missouri Lifestyle Journalism Awards Finalist
University of Wisconsin, Bachelor of Arts in English. graduated "With Distinction"
Writing, copy-editing, proof-reading, HTML editing, Adobe Photoshop, video editing, viral marketing
Articles archived online at www.hughhart.com/stories/
Excellent references available upon request